Closing the Gap: Teaching Children to Teach
Friday, 9th October 2020
The Pavilion, Hogarth Academy
This half-day course will look at the practicalities of training child tutors to teach their new-to-English and EAL peers through talking, reading and questioning.
It will show how gaps can be reduced with minimal demands on teaching resources: improving reading fluency, comprehension and vocabulary as well as social integration and confidence in class. It will also provide an opportunity to challenge, develop and motivate more able children.
• EAL children as tutees: what makes them suitable• Interviewing child tutors: the key to success
What makes a suitable tutor: understanding language acquisition
• Training tutors: modelling and the drip, drip process
• Frequency and regularity: making it happen without making it
• Monitoring progress and motivating the motivator: their success is your success
• How to sustain it over time.
Venue: The Pavilion, Hogarth Academy
Date: 9th October
Cost: £90 + VAT
Friday, October 9th 2020
Bookings close: October 9th 2020
Access to the training room: The Pavilion is separate to the main school and delegates do not have to access the school directly. If you follow down Porchester Road you will see the sign for Hogarth Academy. If you follow the school fields hedge on the left side, you’ll see the gate where the hedge ends.
Parking: Please park on the main road (Porchester Road, NG36JG) as there is no parking outsite the Pavilion.
Address:The Pavilion - Hogarth Academy - Porchester Road - Nottingham NG3 6JG - United Kingdom