Closing the Gap: Teaching Children to Teach
Friday, 9th October 2020 at 1:00pm
This half-day course will look at the practicalities of training child tutors to teach their new-to-English and EAL peers through talking, reading and questioning.
It will show how gaps can be reduced with minimal demands on teaching resources: improving reading fluency, comprehension and vocabulary as well as social integration and confidence in class. It will also provide an opportunity to challenge, develop and motivate more able children.
• EAL children as tutees: what makes them suitable• Interviewing child tutors: the key to success
What makes a suitable tutor: understanding language acquisition
• Training tutors: modelling and the drip, drip process
• Frequency and regularity: making it happen without making it
• Monitoring progress and motivating the motivator: their success is your success
• How to sustain it over time.
Date: 9th October
Cost: £90 + VAT
Friday, October 9th 2020
Bookings close: October 9th 2020