An outstanding Teaching Assistant can make all the difference to pupils’ progress. But sometimes it’s hard to know how to best assist in an ever-changing classroom environment, as well as how to balan
Wednesday, 11th November 2020
Manor Farm Academy
An outstanding Teaching Assistant can make all the difference to pupils’ progress. But sometimes it’s hard to know how to best assist in an ever-changing classroom environment, as well as how to balance the hundred-and-one tasks that a T.A. is called on to perform.
Isabella Wallace is co-author of the best-selling teaching guides, “Pimp Your Lesson!”, “Talk-Less Teaching”, and the new “Best of the Best” Classroom Guides for Teachers. An experienced and award-winning educator, she is consultant and contributor for the Oxford Dictionary of Education and presents nationally and internationally on outstanding teaching and learning.
Described as one of the most charismatic trainers working in the UK today, Isabella’s training sessions are both practical in nature and cutting edge in content. As a widely experienced teacher and leader, she can relate to teachers in a variety of contexts, and she produces and shares materials that enhance practice in subjects across the curriculum.
The role of T.A. is fraught with difficulties: Teachers can be hard to catch up with and liaise with in school, meaning that sometimes a T.A. does not have a clear idea of what pupils are supposed to be doing. Oftentimes, pupils will expect a T.A. to do all the work for them.
This course will provide practical strategies for T.A.s to:
• Assist with in-lesson assessment and feedback
• Assist with differentiation in a lesson
• Support collaborative work
• Run effective intervention sessions with small groups and individuals
• Help struggling learners to access difficult reading or writing tasks
• Motivate reluctant learners
• Deal with challenging behaviour
• Design invaluable resources
• Enhance progress for EAL learners
• Take helpful “in-lesson notes” and keep useful records of intervention
• Communicate effectively with the teacher and support planning
• Help develop pupils’ initiative and self-reliance
• Find the “key” to learning for hard-to-reach pupils
• Use effective questioning Strategies will be realistic and useable by delegates the very next day in subjects across the curriculum and with the different Key Stages.
Venue: Manor Farm Academy
Date: 11th November
Cost: £99 + VAT
Wednesday, November 11th 2020
Bookings close: November 11th 2020